Sunday, July 13, 2008

Family


What is family's purpose? Do you humor them? Are they allowed to treat worse than the average person? Are you forced to like them? I don't know. So where exactly is the happy medium? I have to perform a love poem for my grandparents 50th Aniversary. I have to go to go to the San Juan Islands off the coast of Canada and the US for a week. A week! For christ's sake! I told my mother that was a ridiculous length of time for an aniversary. She said, "Family is doing what you don't want to have to do." Is it really? I thought that that definition was an awful one. If that what family is then why do we love them so unconditionally? That exact week a book that I have long awaited is coming out and my cousin and I wanted to stay up and read together. I will be with my other cousins instead. I like them. They're nice. They're just not irreverant. They seem almost proper. I don't know how to explain it. Oh well. I was just wondering. Is family really such a sacrifice? I don't understand the attraction there. Why do we put up with so much crap? Surely, if we distanced ourselves we could save ourselves so much pain. I am an only child, I am sure you can see the selfishness shining through. But really try to think. What keeps us running back to them ever time?

1 comment:

Eva said...

I think we go back to them because we feel like we have some obligation to. I also happen to think we have an unusually abnormal family, but you already know that!

~Eva