Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Reasons

There is a reason that at times I do not tell my mother every single detail of my friends and my issues. She has excellent advice and truly enjoys helping. She will sit and listen to me bitch for as long as I want to. It's an excellent deal...sorta. The downside being: she will not rest until she sees her advice carried out. So really that's why I don't go to her. Because as much as I love the fact that she will almost always tell me the right thing to do in sticky situations, sometimes I don't want to do the right thing. I just want to hear about it. Stupid, I know. Whatever.

So when I told her about my issues with Trudie she listened and helped and made me feel a whole-of-a-lot better. That was until she started asking me daily, "Have you talked to Trudie yet?". This is was always answered by the inevitable "No". "When are you going to talk to her?". This would be answered by the "I don't know." "I thought we talked about you talking to her."
This would be answered by the "Yes, mom. I know. " "Then why haven't you talked to her yet?" This is where is usually ends with me starting several sentences containing bogus reasons and not finishing. Then I usually end it with a feeble, "Nevermind. I'll talk to her."

The truth is, I was scared. I couldn't imagine how I could ever manage to casually broach the subject with her so I wouldn't look like a stuck up prude. Yesterday, she solved that for me. She informed that she was quitting, at least for the school year. I didn't care about the rest or next summer. I would take ten months with no arguing. Then she said something that really made me believe her. Something I don't think I will ever forget, and that I will remember if I ever find myself starting to make certain vices into a lifestyle. She said, "I realized that things can be a lot more fun when you're sober."

Thanks Trudie.

No comments: