Sunday, July 6, 2008

Insignificantly Perfect


I was thinking about the poll that I put up and I tried to answer the question myself. It wasn't difficult. I love the ring finger. It seems to be the forgotten one. Your middle finger is the tallest and it's for flipping people off. Your index is strong, it's for pointing, it does everything. Your thumb is one of the main reasons humans are so productive. Your pinkie is small delicate, cute even. But what's your ring finger? It's neither the tallest nor the shortest. It's the weakest of all of them, and yet, we rest the symbol for eternal commitment on it. Why do we rest something so breakable and so precious on something so incompetant, so unimportant? Maybe that's why so many marriages fail. They don't have a strong foundation. It's the one that has so little going for it, and yet, to me, it seems to be the most attractive.

No comments: